Recognizing a great need to improve access, reliability, and speeds of internet in Henniker, the Henniker Selectboard entered into an agreement with National Collaborative for Digital Equity (NCDE) and NH Municipal Association (NHMA) to provide services addressing broadband issues in the community.
- Project lead (Carol Miller, NCDE Director of Broadband Initiatives)
- Prepare community leadership with investment and capacity building readiness planning for the infrastructure of the future fiber to the premise.
- Create goals and objectives based on community needs and desires (Broadband Committee)
- Help secure partners in non-profit organizations, banking, and state funding opportunities
- Provide recommendations that reflect best models in Public and Private partnering and sharing of funding resources with one or more communities.
- Promote solutions that incorporate affordable pricing (<$15/month) for low- and moderate-income households
- Provide report at the end of contract.
The board of Selectmen will establish the ad-hoc (6 months to 1 year) Broadband Committee on September 20th and continue to October 4th to fill all seats. The committee shall include 5-7 members.
Ideal candidates for the Broadband Committee include:
- Others in town government
- Chamber of Commerce
- Any technology firms in town
- Representative from New England College
- Businesses that would advocate for high speed not only for their business but their employees.
- Someone from the local school system perhaps in IT or in charge of the e-rate application for subsidized telecom services.
- Any residents who have been asking about broadband because they want better service or don't have a viable service that is reliable
- Someone from local banking institutions
Most of the meetings are a minimum of 1 hour and will be virtual. The schedule will be put together based on the committee members availability. Meeting are subject to RSA 91-A, shall be open to the public, properly noticed and minutes available within 5 business days.
Committee Draft Tasks:
- Prepare leadership with broadband readiness
- Define goals, objectives, and initiatives of project
- Secure partners including for non-profit and state
- Explore public/private partnerships
If you are interested in serving on the Broadband Committee, please complete and return a Volunteer Application. Contact Town Administrator Diane Kendall at 603-428-3221 x105 or complete the contact form to email.