Welfare Department

Director of Human Services
Brenda Slongwhite

The Town's Director of Human Services, Brenda, can be reached by calling (603) 428-3221 ext. 7 and leaving a voice message. She will return your call and, if necessary, schedule an appointment to meet with you on a Saturday.

The Application for Assistance is linked at the bottom of this webpage.  Or you can pick up an application at Town Hall during normal business hours (Monday-Friday 8am-4:30am).

PLEASE NOTE:  The Town of Henniker Human Services Department (Town Welfare) provides temporary emergency assistance to Town residents for the basic necessities of life when all other resources have been exhausted.  If you do not currently receive State benefits, you are required to apply at the State Division of Health & Human Services (State Welfare) located at 40 Terrill Park Drive, Concord, phone (603) 271-6200, to determine if you are eligible for any of the following services (below).  State Welfare sees walk-in clients from 8:00am – 11:15am, Monday through Friday.

  • ANB – Aid to the Needy Blind
  • APTD – Aid to the Permanently & Totally Disabled
  • Child Care
  • Child Support
  • DCYF – Division of Children, Youth & Families
  • DEAS – Division of Elderly & Adult Services
  • EBT – Electronic Benefits Transfer
  • Emergency Food Stamps
  • Food Stamps
  • Healthy Kids Program
  • OAA – Old Age Assistance
  • TANF – Temporary Assistance to Needy Families

Welfare Caseworker Consultation Walk-in Hours - No appointment necessary 

Mondays  10:00am - 1:00pm

Wednesday 3:30pm -7:00pm

Caseworker Carol Conforti-Adams can also be seen by appointment.

Please contact her at caseworker@henniker.org or call (603) 428-8369.

Location:  The Grange, 21 Western Avenue (upstairs from the Food Pantry)

The following is a list of other sources of assistance that may be helpful to you. 

Additional Resources  (revised 5/22/2014)

Child and Family Services1-800-640-6486 or (603) 518-4000

  • http://www.cfsnh.org
  • Provides an array of social services to strengthen family life including support groups, parenting education, adoption and foster parent services, mental health counseling, pregnancy counseling, family counseling, adolescent substance abuse treatment & therapeutic day treatment, homemaker and personal care for seniors and persons with disabilities.

Community Action Program (CAP) – Fuel & Electric Assistance

  • (603) 456-2207
  • http://www.bm-cap.org/index.html
  • 49 West Main Street, Warner, NH 03278
  • Assistance with Housing, Elderly Housing, Home Weatherization & Fixit Program, NH Modular Ramps, Transportation, Employment & Training Services, Senior Centers, Meals on Wheels, Nutrition, Health, Emergency Fuel Assistance, Security Deposit, Neighbor Program (Hardship Assistance) and Electric Assistance.

Division for Children, Youth & Families (DCYF)

  • To report child abuse or neglect, please call (800) 894-5533 (in-state) or (603) 271-6562. 
  • http://www.dhhs.nh.gov/dcyf/
  • This is a division of the State of New Hampshire’s Department of Health and Human Services. DCYF manages protective programs on behalf of New Hampshire's children and youth and their families and provides a wide range of family-centered services to strengthen the family system.

Food Stamps

  • (603) 271-9700
  • http://www.dhhs.nh.gov/dfa/foodstamps/index.htm
  • Provides eligible individuals and households with benefits to buy food items at grocery stores, and other participating food retailers. The Food Stamp Program also gives recipients a chance to learn more about purchasing and preparing nutritious meals.

Henniker Food Pantry

Mid-State Regional Coordinating Council

  • http://midstatercc.org/
  • Provides references to transportation services to people who do not have access to reliable transportation options due to age, disability, income or other reasons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline

New Hampshire Coalition to End Homelessness

  • Helpline 1-866-444-4211
  • http://www.home4hope.com
  • Resources, helpline, and legal rights for persons experiencing homelessness, including help with shelter, community resources, medical, legal and more.

New Hampshire Electronic Application System (NH EASY)

  • www.nheasy.nh.gov
  • Offers New Hampshire residents a fast and easy way to apply online for cash assistance, Medicaid, Child Care Assistance, Medicare Savings Program, and/or Food Stamps.

New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services

  • (603) 271-9700
  • http://www.dhhs.nh.gov/
  • 129 Pleasant St., Concord NH 03301
  • Help with applying for Child Support, Food Stamps, Medicaid, and WIC.  Find your local district office. Foster or adopt a child. Report to authorities adult abuse, child abuse, welfare fraud, domestic violence, and homelessness.

New Hampshire Homeless Hotline

  • Call 211 or 1-866-444-4211
  • HOIP (Homeless Outreach / Intervention Prevention Program) is designed to provide aggressive street outreach and intervention services to the unsheltered homeless throughout the state. HOIP unsheltered homeless contacts are followed up systematically to ensure the appropriate service is provided.

New Hampshire Partners in Health

  • (603) 653-1483 or 1-800-656-3333
  • http://www.nhpih.dartmouth.edu/
  • One Medical Center Drive, Lebanon, NH 03756
  • Support agency for families with chronically ill children.

Parenting Plus & Healthy Families America

  • 1-800-640-6486 or (603) 518-4000
  • http://www.cfsnh.org
  • Offers families guidance and support that is designed to minimize stress and maximize a family’s ability to succeed. Services are provided in the comfort of the family home. Families participate by choice, at no cost to them.  Offered through Child and Family Services.

Riverbend Community Mental Health Center

  • Emergency Services (603) 226-0817
  • Admissions (603) 228-1600
  • http://www.riverbendcmhc.org/ 
  • Serving Henniker and surrounding communities.  Comprehensive mental health services including 24-hour emergency and crisis intervention services, treatment, counseling, community support, psychological assessment and testing.

Salvation Army (Henniker Representative)

  • (603) 428-3476
  • Designed to provide aid to people or families with temporary or emergency needs only. Vouchers used for general aid, health, lodging, aid to children, education, disaster aid and transients.  

ServiceLink - Aging and Disability Resource Center

  • 1-866-634-9412
  • http://www.servicelink.nh.gov/
  • Get answers about healthcare and other services for older adults, persons with disabilities and family caregivers.

Social Security

  • 1-888-397-9798
  • http://www.ssa.gov/boston/NH.htm
  • 70 Commercial St., Suite 100, Concord NH 03301
  • For Disability Income, Medicare, Survivors, Retirement and Supplemental Security Income.


Volunteer Driver Programs Serving Henniker. For more information, contact the NH Mid-State Regional Ride Resource Directory www.midstatercc.org

  • American Cancer Society 1-800-227-2345, for cancer treatment
  • Friends RSVP Program (603) 228-1193 ext. 238 or 214, For age 60+ for medical or basic needs
  • Community Action (603) 225-1989, for age 60+ or disabled
  • White Birch Community Center (603) 428-3077, for Henniker senior citizens and people with life-threatening illness

WIC (Women, Infants & Children Nutrition Program)

  • 1-800-942-4321
  • http://www.dhhs.nh.gov/dphs/nhp/wic/index.htm
  • 2 Industrial Park Dr., Concord NH 03302
  • Provides nutrition education and nutritious foods to help keep pregnant women, new mothers, infants and preschool children healthy and strong.